- This event has passed.
Navigating LGBT Adolescent Health for the Healthcare Provider
July 13 @ 8:00 am - 4:00 pm$95
Many lesbian, gay, bisexual, and transgender (LGBT) individuals face barriers and challenges that make it difficult for them to find and receive competent healthcare or feel that they have had a positive provider experience. In many cases, this will likely cause LGBT patients to experience a heightened degree of distress and symptoms than their non-LGBT counterparts. Because LGBT people are members of every community and socioeconomic group, their healthcare needs must be fully understood by all health providers to make the cultural changes required to eliminate healthcare disparities and improve health-related outcomes for this patient population.
The purpose of the Health Professions Seminar is to provide an educational forum to discuss vital topics of healthcare delivery that are harmful to the LGBT community and their well-being as a whole. It is the intent of the Health Professions Seminars to instill overdue change by increasing the knowledge base of healthcare providers and support staff caring for LGBT patients and to encourage adoption of LGBT culture-friendly practices throughout the healthcare community.
The intended audience for this program are physicians, nurses, social workers and all other healthcare professionals (clinical or non-clinical) who provide health-related services to the LGBT patient population as topics will relate to both healthcare services as well as the patient care experience.
|8:00am-8:30am||Registration & Continental Breakfast||Catskill Hudson AHEC Staff|
|8:30am-8:45am||Welcome & Introductions||Robert Wingate|
|8:45am-9:45am||Exploring Privilege/Creating an LGBT Safe Zone||
Lori Ciafardoni, MS, ED, RN
Kyan Lynch, MD, MA
|10:00am-11:00am||Affirming Primary Care for LGBTQ Youth||Carolyn Wolf-Gould, MD|
|11:00am-12:00pm||STIs/HIV and LGBT Youth||Marguerite A. Urban, MD|
|12:00pm-1:00pm||Networking Lunch & Breakout Sessions||All Presenters|
|1:00pm-1:45pm||LGBTQ Rights in New York State||Mallory Livingston, Esq.|
|1:45pm-2:45pm||Providing Competent Mental Health Care with Trans and Nonbinary Adolescents||Acey A. Mercer, LMSW|
|3:00pm-3:45pm||Presenter Panel Q&A||Moderated by Rob Conlon, MS|
|3:45pm-4:00pm||Closing Remarks and Evaluations||Robert Wingate|
Continuing Education (CEUs):
- The University of Rochester School of Medicine and Dentistry is accredited by the Accreditation Council for Continuing Medical Education to provide continuing medical education for physicians. The University of Rochester School of Medicine and Dentistry designates this live activity for a maximum of 5.5 AMA PRA Category 1 Credit(s)TM. Physicians should claim only the credit commensurate with the extent of their participation in the activity.
- This program is approved for a maximum of 5.5 continuing nursing education contact hours by The NYU Rory Meyers College of Nursing Center for Continuing Education in Nursing. The NYU Rory Meyers College of Nursing Center for Continuing Education in Nursing is accredited as a provider of continuing nursing education by the American Nurses’ Credentialing Center’s Commission on Accreditation.
- 5 Social Work Continuing Education hours are available through a partnership with University at Albany School of Social Welfare. University at Albany, School of Social Welfare is recognized by the New York State Education Department’s State Board for Social Work as an approved provider of continuing education for licensed social workers #0011.
- 5.5 Licensed Mental Health Counselor Continuing Education hours are available through a partnership with UAlbany School of Social Welfare and School of Education. University at Albany, School of Social Welfare & School of Education, Continuing Education Program is recognized by the New York State Education Department’s State Board for Mental Health Practitioners as an approved provider of continuing education for licensed mental health counselors. #MHC-0039.
- Registration fee: $95.00
- Register through Eventbrite at https://navigatinglgbthealth.eventbrite.com
- Registration is non-refundable.
- Registration deadline is July 2, 2018 and registration is limited.
Support provided by:
- Westchester Medical Center Performing Provider System (PPS)
- Marist School of Science – Physician Assistant Program
- Gay Lesbian Straight Education Network (GLSEN)
- Clinical Education Initiative (CEI)
For general questions, please contact Kathy Doyle at firstname.lastname@example.org or (845) 883-7260.